Experimentation and Making process

IMG_9176
Experimentation with light through tracing paper- potential use of light in the project

 

IMG_9242
A mould made of plastic and tape (learned in the wax workshop). I used masking tape instead of duct tape, wax seeped through.
IMG_9248
I used a plastic bag inside the mould to stop the waz from leaking. It stopped the leaks but stuck to the wax in places
IMG_9250
The mould had a weak structure so collapsed while drying, giving the face a strange shape.
IMG_9251
The texture the plastic bag created was interesting. The effect of the objects inside the wax was also pleasing.
IMG_9264
I used a clay mould to make the basic shape of this eye, I then used acrylic paint to paint the iris and pupil.
IMG_9266
I added wax to create an eyelid, but it turned out very weak and also more opaque.
IMG_9285
After removing the eylid, i dipped the eye in melted wax to create a glaze over the eye. I also used red cotton fibres to give the effect of veins- this is the same technique that Ocularists use.
IMG_9289
Using gouache, I painted a new iris, as with gouache i could achieve more detail.
IMG_9291
When the eye was dipped in wax, the gouache deteriorated.
IMG_9292
I began to paint two eyes together, using acrylic paint like before.
IMG_9293
They were made simultaneously so that they match as closely as possible.
IMG_9296
I glazed over the first layer of paint, then painted the iris details on the new layer of wax to create distancee.
IMG_9300
The finished result of the eyes with layers of veins and layered irises.
IMG_9303
I cut holes for the eyes and inserted the eyes I made; partly to humour myself but also to see the proportions better

 

IMG_9305
I made a head out of newsprint paper, plasic bags and masking tape
facial proportions
Using Photoshop on my Microsoft surface, i checked the proportions of the head using the Andrew Lumis theory.
IMG_9308
I painted a layer of melted wax over the masking tape in order to make it waterproof. I liked the effect it gave.
IMG_9309
Mod rock was then used to create a cast of the head, then after dryong, cut using a craft knife and separated from the masking tape.
IMG_9313
After attempting, and failing to use clay as an extra support to the mould, i put a plastic bag, yet again, inside the mould, supported it as best as i could and filled it with wax.
IMG_9314
The forehead of the face was warping, so I made a hoist out of masking tape and a bulldog clip.
IMG_9315
some of the wax seeped through, but not enough to jeopardise the head.

IMG_9316IMG_9317IMG_9319IMG_9321IMG_9322IMG_9329IMG_9330IMG_9333IMG_9334IMG_9335IMG_9336IMG_9337IMG_9338IMG_9339IMG_9340WIN_20171212_14_35_33_ProWIN_20171212_14_35_23_Pro

After hearing a conversation about using soft pastels to create paintings with water, I wondered how they would react with wax. Here are some experiments using layering different colours and using different mixing techniques with soft pastel. I am happy with these results, however I feel further research is necessary to look at biology of the skin and its different layers, paying attention to the colouring in each of the layers for different races.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s